Top 10 conclusions Premier League 28 December
2. Shay Given put in one of the greatest performances by a keeper who conceded five goals in Premier League history.
3. The slack defending that allowed Fulham to secure a point was a costly slip-up for Chelsea. They won’t want to be dropping too many points to mid-table outfits.
4. Leaving Robinho unmarked in the penalty area in the last 30 seconds of a match you are winning 2-1 is not a great idea, as Blackburn discovered the hard way yesterday.
5. Benoit Assou-Ekotto was sent-off for trying to be Zidane. The Tottenham man’s attempted pirouette was mistaken for a stamp, although his hair alone is a red card offence.
6. Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard are flourishing in their free-roles for their respective clubs, which serves to highlight why they will never be 100 per cent compatible at international level.
7. West Brom fans must be thanking their lucky stars that Santa gave them the early Christmas present of Roman Bednar back in the team after his second vital goal in three games.
8. ‘Arry will be desperate to start wheeling and dealing in January as the wheels seem to have come off his Redknapp Revolution at Spurs over the past few games.
9. David James was all over the place against Arsenal. It was like a throwback to the good old Calamity James years as he flapped at every single cross into the Portsmouth area.
10. If Stoke want to stay in the Premier League, they are probably going to want to stop getting sent-off for slapping each other.