1. Paul Ince is a gonner. Last week I said that defeat to Liverpool (when Blackburn put in a good performance) should not get him sacked, but I cannot see the Rovers board tolerating 3-0 losses to Wigan.
2. Drawing is the new winning. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Yoo all picked up a solitary point this weekend. I suspect none of them will be too pleased with that return from fixtures against Middlesbrough, Hull, West Ham and Tottenham respectively.
3. Life post-Roy Keane is just wonderful on Wearside.
4. It is a good job we weren’t allowed to sponsor West Brom. 4-0 defeats to Sunderland are not the sort of thing we want to be associated with!
5. Jamie Carragher has better finishing ability than I thought. The effort against Hull was the seventh own goal of his Liverpool career (he’s only scored four at the other end!).
6. Aston Villa are the team to watch right now. Five goals in their match last week, six goals this week. Anyone for a seven-goal thriller with West Ham next Saturday tea-time?
7. Michael Owen really wants to move in January. Who can remember the last time he played this many games, let alone scored goals like the one below?
8. Manchester City are not quite ready for world domination. Mark Hughes will be hoping the club’s new owners are patient employers.
9. Jeremie Aliadiere must be a very happy boy after scoring against Arsenal, the club he felt never gave him a fair crack of the whip.
10. Top-flight crowd trouble at the Everton-Manchester City game – how retro! Eighties chic.