2. It is reassuring to clarify that Juande Ramos can’t manage against English teams.
3. Guus Hiddink’s magic is showing no signs of wearing off just yet.
4. I think we can safely pencil Bayern Munich through to the quarter-finals after their 0-5 away win at Sporting Lisbon.
5. That said, is it really necessary for them to become ‘Five-star Bayern’ in every single match report? I’m going to award them one constellation.
6. I wanted to conclude that Yossi Benayoun persistently jinks his way into decent positions and then passes to the wing instead of taking a shot, but as he scored the winner I don’t think it is quite so valid now.
7. All square in the Sounds-Like-A-Uefa-Cup-Match-But-Actually-It’s-A-Champions League match between Villarreal and Panathinaikos.
8. Franck Ribery was like a cartoon hero forcing his enemies to collide with each as they chased him! Quite apt for someone who has been made into a cartoon.
9. Salomon Kalou is turning into a very decent player for Chelsea. For a while I thought he was destined to be a poor man’s Malouda, but he seems to have got his act together.
10. I’m going to arrange for Titus Bramble to visit Sporting Lisbon to give some defensive master-classes.