2. Chelsea may be pleased to sign Ricardo Quaresma, but I would always question the logic of signing a Portuguese player who was not wanted by serial compatriot hoarder Jose Mourinho.
3. Joe Kinnear will be pleased to have Charles N’Zogbia’s move to Wigan wrapped up. No more sleep lost over Insomnia.
4. Talking of N’Zogbia, here is what he had to say less than a month ago: “I’ve spoken to my bosses at the club. They know what my aims are and what I want to continue to progress. As soon as a big club knocks on the door with a good offer, I don’t think they’ll prevent me leaving.” Now no offence to Wigan, but… well, you know…
5. At the time of writing, the Andrei Arshavin wrangling is still ongoing. I’m sure Arsenal fans would swap the circus and the prospect of another attacking midfielder for a decent holding midfielder with some physical presence.
6. Every man and his dog were after Miguel Veloso and he is still a Sporting Lisbon player. Obviously the Premier League’s money doesn’t speak to every club (that goes for Zenit St Petersburg too, see above).
7. Search YouTube for West Brom’s new signing Juan Carlos Menseguez and most of the goals seem to be computer animated. This one is genuine though and it is just the sort of finish the Baggies would love to see:
8. Got to feel sorry for the poor Liverpool fans who purchased a ‘Keane 7’ shirt. They are still available from the Liverpool online shop by the way, if you have got lots of money to waste (like Liverpool).
9. I know Everton have got a few strikers out but on the evidence of his performances at Man City, Jo will provide about as much impact on the pitch as any of his new team-mates manage from the treatment room.
10. I wonder precisely how much it would have taken for Blackburn to part with Roque Santa Cruz. Haven’t they heard of the credit crunch?