1. The first conclusion is that you can’t really conclude too much from that match. A comfortable win against substantially inferior opposition. England were bright in spells, but the opposition was poor.
2. Just in from irony corner: an England squad that doesn’t contain Michael Owen is struggling for fit strikers. That forward’s slot must have been cursed, with Emile Heskey, Carlton Cole and Peter Crouch all picking up injuries.
3. Peter Crouch would have scored a fifth goal for England (albeit while the score was still at 1-0), but an offside John Terry tried to steal his goal. Like mother, like son.
4. Fabio Capello definitely looks more like Ray from Extras every time I see him:
5. The new England kit is superb. I’m going to paraphrase a 606 caller whose name escapes me and say: “Anyone who doesn’t like this kit probably thinks that go-faster stripes make their car look cool.”
And OTP should probably extend its congratulations to England’s most-capped outfield player, David Beckham. We are sure it will mean a lot to him (our congratulations, that is).