Top 10 conclusions Champions League quarter finals 9 April
2. Branislav Ivanovic’s monk head was probably the last body part I expected to settle this tie.
3. Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink was not leading us on a wild Guus chase when he promised to attack Liverpool. And the plan worked.
4. This has been the most exciting round of Champions League quarter finals… well, ever! Say goodbye to damp squib first legs: attacking is the new defending.
5. Lionel Messi is currently the best player in the world.
6. Chelsea v Liverpool goals are like buses. You wait ages for one…
7. There must be something about still being genuine Premier League title contenders which precludes you from defending corners properly. United, on Tuesday, and Liverpool, last night, were both handing out free headers like they were going out of fashion.
8. Spanish referees are dodgy, but English ones are worse. Poor Pep Guardiola was sent to the stands for quite rightly pointing out the error of Howard Webb’s ways.
9. Christian Lell is not Philipp Lahm, much to Barca’s benefit.
10. Michael Essien has been such a big loss for Chelsea this season. He completely thwarted any threat posed by Steven Gerrard.