2. How ironic that after the GIF that has been doing the rounds all week, it was Kieran Gibbs on his backside which set the ball rolling for United.
3. United’s third goal was the sort you could watch over and over. A counter attack taken straight from the text book.
4. Sod’s law from Arsenal’s point of view that the first time the Emirates Stadium volume level has gone above the ‘heated discussion in library’ setting they concede two goals in the first 10 minutes.
5. I can understand Gooners’ frustrations at the way things were going, but I didn’t see Roberto Rosetti making too many mistakes in the first-half when they were on his back. Yes, unlike the first-leg Ronaldo was given free-kicks, but I can’t recall a single dive.
6. He did make one MASSIVE mistake though. Commiserations to Darren Fletcher who must be gutted and should never have been sent-off in a million years. That is a big loss to the United midfield for the final.
7. Therefore, we can also conclude that referees ought to be able to overturn their decisions in European matches with the benefit of video replays, or at least some form of appeal process put in place. It was quite humorous to see Fergie immediately discussing the appeal process with the fourth official though! “Erm, there isn’t one, Sir Alex.”
8. This will be particularly tough for Arsene Wenger to get over. As alluded to in our first conclusion, the Arsenal boss had given a most un-Wenger like big build-up and his quotes post-match suggest he was shocked by how easily United had secured victory.
9. Manuel Almunia need not bother applying for English citizenship. We already have a host of keepers who specialise in misjudging the flight of free-kicks.
10. If indeed the bomb scare shortly after half-time was a feeble attempt by an Arsenal fan to get the game postponed then it was ridiculously over the top… and a source of useful humour. On Twitter within minutes: “A suspicious package was found shortly after half-time during tonight’s game at the Emirates Stadium, but it turned out not to pose any threat. That’s Nicklas Bentdner for you.”