Top five conclusions Newcastle 3-1 Middlesbrough
1. Middlesbrough are down. Newcastle are not safe, but Middlesbrough are down.
2. I’m not convinced that bringing on Obafemi Martins for a fairly ineffectual Michael Owen suddenly makes Alan Shearer a tactical genius, but Martins’ goal could be absolutely priceless.
3. The start of the first-half was exciting, pulsating, and had some good football (particularly from Newcastle). In the second half you could be forgiven for thinking the two teams were already in the Championship and scrapping it out to avoid relegation to League One.
4. After Habib Beye’s early own goal, I thought the pitch was causing Newcastle problems again.
5. The young-ish Newcastle fan captured on camera wearing his old 1997 home shirt should accept that he hadn’t hit puberty in 1997, and that is the reason why said shirt is crushing his ribcage.