Top 10 conclusions England 3-1 Mexico
1. Hallelujah, Wayne Rooney emerged unscathed.
2. More worrying signs against a side which is comfortable in possession. England were forced to play on the break in the first half.
3. Glen Johnson cannot defend… but he knows how to attack. A fantastic strike from the right-back.
4. Wembley’s pitch held relatively firm to ensure it didn’t take any flak ahead of England’s departure.
5. Steven Gerrard has vampire tendencies. He was caught by the TV camera clearly drinking his own blood.
6. Cuauhtémoc Blanco looks about 55. David James has obviously had a much easier life than him.
7. Peter Crouch clearly demonstrated the perks of being the same height as the crossbar to grab his goal.
8. The FA should definitely mic-up Fabio Capello for the tournament. I would pay good money to listen to a live feed of his Rocky-esque ramblings during matches. If only England had a player called Adrian.
9. Peter Drury should be hauled before his bosses tomorrow to explain precisely how Mexico’s goal was “tight” and what doubts he had over its legitimacy.
10. Warnock, Dawson, Upson, Wright Phillips, Parker and Bent will have a nervous sleep tonight.