Top five conclusions: France 0-0 Uruguay
1. You know it hasn’t been a festival of football when the highlight of the first-half is the goalkeeping popping two balloons. Truly topped off by the slo-mo replay.
2. Given the circumstances of France’s qualifications, Thierry Henry might have been well-advised to appeal for a handball.
3. At times like this you have to wonder how Raymond Domenech is still in that job. Nobody likes him, he is constantly feuding with his players and his selection and tactical decisions are frequently baffling.
4. Nicolas Lodeiro became one of the quiz answers nobody really wants to be.
5. That snorefest wasn’t really what was wanted on the opening day of the tournament. The match was poor and France were particularly poor.