1. ‘It’s the taking part that counts,’ doesn’t usually wash at top-level sport, but it was something of a relief that France turned up for this.
2. ‘Vlad’ Mphela just isn’t as lethal as his name might suggest. South Africa had the chances to make Mexico sweat a bit more.
3. It seems Yoann Gourcuff really is the new Zidane. Although in fairness, his red card was absolutely ridiculous.
4. At least France signed off with a decent bit of teamwork with Florent Malouda’s goal.
5. It is great that South Africa managed to go out with a victory, but it would have been nice for the competition if they had sneaked through.
Video via 101GG