1. It is very reassuring to see the reigning world champions pick up an underwhelming 1-1 draw in their opening match.
2. Given some of the softer red cards so far in the World Cup, a few players can allow themselves to look at Cristian Riveros’ unpunished studs up leg-breaker on Riccardo Montolivo and scratch their heads a bit.
3. Another goalkeeping clanger but to suggest Paraguay’s Justo Villar is the latest victim of the Jabulani might be pushing it a bit.
4. After coming back from a being a goal down to a a header from Paraguay’s centre-back, this truly was an escape from Alcaraz for Italy.
5. There is not enough good quality beards on display at this World Cup – Daniele De Rossi got his just deserts.