1. If Fabio Capello’s plan is to lift all expectations from England going into the tournament then he is a tactical genius.
2. Things are looking bad when your opponent’s centre-backs are more clinical than your strikers. Three goals between them, while Rooney, Bent and Heskey left empty-handed.
3. You know it is a World Cup year when England’s best penalty taker misses two on the trot.
4. Theo Walcott had better be behind Aaron Lennon in the pecking order – it is going to be frustrating enough without watching him get caught in possession every few minutes.
5. A couple of people were unhappy with my criticism of Glen Johnson’s defending as I praised his goal against Mexico. Japan’s goal could be considered a bit of vindication.