1. A victory for the side playing the nicest football and a victory for Paul the octopus. Here’s hoping his German keepers don’t hold it against him.
2. But for all that tiki-taka, it turns outs you can’t beat a thumping header to win a World Cup semi-final. Take that, Beckenbauer.
3. Pedro was generally a far more lively presence than Fernando Torres has looked in the tournament so far. Perhaps this explains why he was so reluctant to pass the best chance of the game to the man who might come back into the side to replace him for the final.
4. Mesut Ozil’s eyes were more purple and googly than ever before. There might be a correlation with the magnitude of the game.
5. Vicente Del Bosque must honestly believe that Carlos Marchena is a lucky mascot. He loves to chuck him on to keep the defender’s unbeaten run going.