1. John W Henry probably has a decent enough grasp of soccer to know that wasn’t great from his new club.
2. The same can’t be said of Roy Hodgson, sadly. OTP believes he has the experience, nous and ability to turn things around at Anfield but his post-match comments about how good Liverpool were yesterday seriously undermine that.
3. Typical Arsenal: recklessly lunging into tackles. Arsene Wenger has them too pumped up.
4. Unlike Wolves. Mick McCarthy sent his sarcastic twin to face the MOTD cameras: “I asked all the lads to go out today and knock seven bells out of everybody as well, like I normally do. Shame that, isn’t it? They go out there and play free-flowing football and we’re rampant for 45 minutes. What they hell were they playing at?”
5. Blackpool can feel deeply aggrieved since Manchester City’s opening goal against them was clearly offside and a foul was quite obviously committed in the build-up to their second.
6. Nothing wrong with the third though. We’re looking forward to seeing more of that from jinking David Silva.
7. Controversial offside decisions were a bit of a theme. To be fair, you can see why the match officials would assume that neither William Gallas nor Yakubu were interfering with play – you’ve got to go with the percentages.
8. Best product placement of the week goes to Ian Holloway, who managed to sneak a plug for Doritos into his post-match comments.
9. If goal-scoring is supposed to give strikers confidence, then Diomansy Kamara isn’t wired up quite right. After an injury-plagued spell you could forgive him for a little rustiness in his finishing. But he actually found the net for Fulham before fluffing his lines for the rest of the afternoon.
10. Edwin Van Der Sar can be thankful that he’s not English and that he didn’t do that on international duty a few years ago. Otherwise his career would probably not have been so distinguished.