Phil Neville was last night the third most talked about trending topic on Twitter after Everton fans launched a campaign against the level of hype being afforded to Gareth Bale following his man of the match performance against Inter Milan.
Toffees fans, partly annoyed that Neville’s role in keeping Bale quiet when Everton played Spurs last week had been overlooked and partly – we can assume – at a bit of a loose end, began posting Chuck Norris/The Stig style declarations about Neville.
One person tweeted: “Death once had a near Phil Neville experience.”
Other tweets include:
- “Phil Neville gets his mail before it’s been sent.”
- “If Phil Neville was from Sparta, ‘300’ would just be called ‘1’.”
- “If Phil Neville had been on the Titanic he would have melted the iceberg with his stare!!!”
- “Phil Neville doesn’t wear a watch. He decides what time it is.”
- “Scarface was just known as ‘Face’ before he met Phil Neville.”
The last word goes to Neville’s former team-mate Landon Donovan, who wrote: “Phil Neville is trending?!? What has this world come to?!?!?!?”