Top five conclusions: England 1-2 France
1. It is very useful to get a realistic appraisal of where England are: second best to international football’s laughing stock.
2. England could start the match with two goalkeepers, a sweeper and an adventurous three-pronged attack. We would still be playing 4-4-2 by the final whistle.
3. Don Fabio is the man who puts the cap in Capello. Presumably the same PR bod who banned his brolly informed him that Twitter was not responding well to his baseball-themed rain protection either.
4. If there is any justice in the world, tomorrow Joleon Lescott will be forced to write a 2,000 word essay on why the 40-yard hoof to a lone striker is not always the best out ball.
5. Being outplayed by decent teams is preferable to whipping minnows. At least it keeps our ambitions in check.