1. Today’s Wikileaks allegations that Russia is a “mafia state” obviously proved too much of lure for FIFA’s executive committee.
3. Air conditioning in the stadiums or not, OTP just can’t see Qatar working for players or fans. It’s going to be far too hot.
4. And a bit cramped too. According to our rough calculations, there will only be 137 sq miles per World Cup qualifying nation in the entire country.
5. No such problems in Russia where players will probably be at risk of deep vein thrombosis when travelling between matches.
6. David Cameron must be thinking Vladimir Putin had the right idea in waiting to see if he won before parading around Zurich.
7. Sepp Blatter seemed very apologetic, presumably because he knew England’s was the best bid. He called it the “motherland of football”, but clearly Mother Russia was more appealing.
8. Blatter actually awarded Qatar the “two twenty-two” so hanging in there USA. You might still get 2022.
9. It sounds like Panorama might have scared off Jack Warner. Hopefully the rumours that we will get to see who voted for what will prove to be true.
10. We are unable to conclude what is the point of a bidding process and presentations, if FIFA are just going to give the tournaments to new frontiers. Why not just stick a pin in a map?