1. Rafael Van Der Vaart is worth an extra man to Spurs.
2. Newcastle and Fulham were the most generous sides this Christmas. They both gifted 3-1 victories – to Manchester City and West Ham respectively – by serving up neatly wrapped goals for the opposition.
3. A more reluctant Santa Claus was Wayne Rooney, who is still busy giving since he is unable to take his own chances.
4. Carlos Tevez might have kept the dummy in his sock on this occasion to avoid writing his own headlines.
5. Heurelho Gomes is planning on using himself as a human bowling ball in every match from now on. Unlike against Chelsea, during the Aston Villa match he discovered that his new hobby isn’t always a penalty offence.
6. Sky’s insistence on calling West Ham “the men from the East” might have been a Christmas reference too far.
7. Mick McCarthy was right to be miserable about his Christmas prospects.
8. Blackburn’s Christmas was marred by the absence of a fat man whose gifts they might have been taking for granted.
9. Jermain Defoe is not tall enough to swing an elbow at James Collins in malice.
10. West Brom fans will be wishing the September version of Peter Odemwingie had turned up at the Reebok Stadium yesterday to collect his hat-trick.