Top 10 conclusions Premier League weekend 22-23 January
1. An away victory for Liverpool. King Kenny will be getting a sainthood soon at his rate.
2. We’re not sure he has quite repaid his £24 million just yet, but that was a pretty impressive start to Darren Bent’s career at Aston Villa.
3. It was a bad weekend for the blue half of the respective cities in the Manchester v Birmingham fixture exchanges.
4. Mugging victim Harry Redknapp wreaked his revenge at St James’ Park on Saturday as he smash-and-grabbed two points from Newcastle.
5. Mug of the week was undoubtedly Frederic Piquionne. He left his side defending a 2-1 lead with 10 men for the final few minutes after picking up a second bookable offence for disappearing into the crowd to celebrate what should have been the winner.
6. Mugs of the week off the pitch were Richard Keys and Andy Gray. Keys proved his Neanderthal likenesses go beyond general hairiness as the daring duo made some pre-emptive criticism of female assistant referee Sian Massey .
7. Dimitar Berbatov and Robin Van Persie proved that lazy people can score hat-tricks too.
8. Kenny Dalglish’s January signings have gone down a treat so far. Shame this Raul Meireles chap couldn’t have played for Roy Hodgson.
9. Wigan’s players should have been charged admission to the Emirates on Saturday. They were the best-placed spectators in the ground.
10. Steve Bruce should have got Ian Holloway to value Kieran Richardson for him after Sunderland’s victory over Blackpool. the ex-Manchester United player eclipsed the Seasiders’ gazillion-pound man to secure all three points.