Top 10 conclusions: Carling Cup Final (Arsenal 1-2 Birmingham)
1. Congratulations to Birmingham City. A thoroughly deserved victory and reward for some brave management from Alex McLeish.
2. Ben Foster thoroughly deserved his man of the match award. He put in the slide tackle of the match on Tomas Rosicky and his face made a great save. He made some decent stops with his hands too.
3. Arsene Wenger must be wondering who has got it in for him. His big chance to shoot down the doubters and he gets let down by a goalkeeper and a central defender. Doubters 1-0 Wenger.
4. A sublime Robin Van Persie goal was followed by a Robin Van Persie injury. The universe is safe for a bit longer.
5. From an organisation point-of-view, the whole event seemed a bit amateurish from the moment captain Robin Van Persie left the dignitaries waiting because he didn’t know he had to introduce his team, to Stephen Carr going up before the rest of his team to collect the trophy.
6. Perhaps it would have been better for Arsenal if Wojciech Szczesny had been sent-off in the first minute as he should have been.
7. Mrs Szczesny should probably be expecting another visit. Different reason this team.
9. A hungover Alex McLeish will no doubt be activating the £5 million permanent deal in Obafemi Martins’ loan deal tomorrow.
10. What with all the pre-match talk being about Arsenal’s trophy drought, the final result must represent a Birmingham flood.