Top 10 laughable Sepp Blatter quotes
The best of the worst of Blatter
1. “He should say that this is a game. We are in a game, and at the end of the game, we shake hands, and this can happen, because we have worked so hard against racism and discrimination.”
Yesterday’s advice to the victims of on-field racism.
2. “Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball. They could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men – such as playing with a lighter ball. That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?”
Making a case for sexy footballer in 2004.
3. “We had to push a little bit and I had to say, ‘look, I have another solution in my pocket if you don’t work.'”
On dealing with lazy Africans ahead of the 2010 World Cup.
4. “I’d say they [gay fans] should refrain from any sexual activities.”
Advising homosexual football fans on staying on the right side of the law for Qatar 2022.
5. “We will definitely use the technology in Germany next year if the experiment works in Peru.”
Heralding the forthcoming arrival of goal-line technology… in 2005.
6. “Please do not insist on the technology, the day that the referee takes two captains aside to study monitors and see if something is inside the box or outside is the day the spectators will say no, we are not coming to the game.”
Attempting to kill-off calls for goal-line technology in 2009.
7. “Listen, this is a special approach in the Anglo-Saxon countries. If this had happened in let’s say Latin countries then I think he would have been applauded.”
Offending loads of people as he offers his opinion on John Terry’s private life.
8. “I know myself, I was always a striker. But it’s 50 years ago now – but I’m still a little bit of a striker. We tried to dribble, but when we could not go through and someone put his foot there, what do you do? You do a little bit more than you should have done. Is this so terrible? I don’t think so. At least it’s not so terrible that we should intervene after a match. The disciplinary committee should not intervene on that. They should intervene on violent play.”
Speaking up in defence of diving in football.
9. “I think in football there’s too much modern slavery in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere.”
Comparing Cristiano Ronaldo’s attempts to move to Real Madrid to the plight of slaves in 2008.
10. “I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa.”
Restoring faith in January 2011…