1. Newcastle secured a Boxing Day defeat that Kevin Keegan would have been proud to preside over.
2. Sir Alex Ferguson decided that the season of goodwill should not extend to any match official involved in awarding Newcastle’s second goal.
3. The Black Cats are unlucky for Manchester City. That’s twice in two seasons that they’ve lost 1-0 at the Stadium of Light.
4. Following on from that point, Roberto Mancini might reflect this morning that it wouldn’t have caused him too much hardship to have a miserable Adam Johnson sat on his bench yesterday.
5. Patrice ‘Poacher’ Evra was on target again yesterday. Wayne Rooney’s going to struggle to get back into the team at this rate.
6. QPR’s matches are being delayed due to crowds associated with the January sales… and ‘Arry hasn’t even started shipping in his targets yet.
7. Reading striker Adam Le Fondre didn’t get away with his main de dieu against Swansea, but did manage a look of bemused innocence of which Maradona himself would’ve been proud.
8. Fulham’s Chris Baird is another man wishing his ridiculous handball hadn’t been spotted. He gave away a soft penalty to allow Southampton to sneak a point.
9. Jon Walters scored one of the nicest goals you’re ever likely to see made in Stoke’s image against Liverpool. Beautiful chest control and carefully guided volley from a long throw-in and flick on. The ball never touched the ground.
10. Gareth Bale decided against taking pity on Aston Villa’s goal difference. Paul Lambert’s side are now scored 0, conceded 12 for their last two matches.