Top 10 conclusions: Premier League weekend, 12-13 January
1. Reading vs West Brom up first on Match of the Day? A clear indication that something special is afoot.
2. Jonathan Walters needs to accept that Chelsea have signed Demba Ba and don’t need another striker. His live audition for the role of a Blues goalscorer was shameful.
3. Laurent Koscielny can now cross ‘free hugs’ off his New Year’s resolution list of random acts of kindness to perform in 2013.
4. Meanwhile, referee Mike Dean’s efforts to kick people’s whose surnames begin ‘Ko-‘ out of football went into overdrive.
5. Manchester United vs Liverpool provided a nice microcosm of the career of Daniel Sturridge: lots of potential, an eye for goal, but lots of wayward shooting.
6. West Brom are probably wishing they’d let Jonas Olsson move to QPR after all following his disastrous showing against Reading.
7. Spain, we’re blaming you for Jay Rodriguez’s emergence as a dirty diver. We refuse to accept responsibility.
8. Great strike from Eden Hazard for Chelsea, although we’re not sure the MOTD commentator had to make such a big deal of it being “the pick of the bunch” of the four goals against Stoke since the competition was two own goals and a penalty.
9. Christian’s Bentekkers appeared to have deserted him.
10. It was supposed to be the battle between Robin Van Persie and Luis Suarez, but Manchester United vs Liverpool was instead settled by Nemanja Vidic poaching a goal from Patrice Evra.