Top five conclusions: Manchester United 1-2 Real Madrid
1. Accidentally kicking an opponent with your eyes firmly on the ball is a straight red card. This could be the end of the overhead kick as we know it.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo has perfected the ‘walking back from an offside position’ goal celebration.
3. Claiming that the better team lost, skulking off without celebrating, whispering words of support to Sir Alex Ferguson: Jose Mourinho couldn’t have made a bigger play for the Manchester United job if he’d pushed his CV under the boardroom door on the way out.
4. Perhaps referee Cuneyt Cakir has done Manchester United a favour. He does appear to have helped Old Trafford to find a volume level that’s been missing for the last decade or so.
5. It was quite funny to observe Manchester United fans trying to balance indignation at Nani’s red card with the fact that club legend Roy Keane supported the ref’s decision.