Mesut Ozil is the latest midfielder to be linked with a move to Manchester United as the champions desperately try to improve their squad for the new season.
David Moyes has had a frustrating summer when it’s come to acquiring midfield targets, and Ozil is now a target according to the Daily Mirror.
The Germany international follows the likes of Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas, Ozil’s Real Madrid team-mate Luka Modric and Everton’s Marouane Fellaini in being targeted by United this summer, but so far Moyes has been unable to strengthen his midfield.
The 24-year-old playmaker could find himself further down the pecking order at the Bernabeu if United secure the signing of Gareth Bale. Real might then be convinced to part with Ozil.
Meanwhile, Moyes has been defending the lack of transfer activity to date.
He said: “I’m confident we’ll have players in before the start of the season, yeah,” said the United boss on Thursday.
“We’re involved in several players we’re looking at and that will continue. Will we get them before the deadline? I hope so. But we’re working very hard to do so.
“This was always going to be a difficult window for me personally, because I joined Manchester United on July 1.
“So that’s given you a short period [in which to do deals] and also to get to know the players, to get to know the market.”