FA approach Man Utd matchwinner Adnan Januzaj about playing for England

Posted by - October 5, 2013 - All News, England, International, Manchester United

FA officials have contacted Manchester United youngster Adnan Januzaj about the possibility of playing for England, according to David Moyes.

The United boss says Januzaj has been sounded out by the FA even though he wouldn’t be eligible to play for the national team for five years.

The Belgian-born youngster is of Albanian descent. He has so far rejected call-ups from both nations as he continues to weigh-up his international football options.

Januzaj also qualifies to play for Croatia should he wish, but the FA have swooped to tell United’s two-goal matchwinner in today’s game against Sunderland that they would be interested in his services.

Unfortunately for Roy Hodgson, the 18-year-old will only be eligible once he has lived in the UK for five years after his 18th birthday. That means he will only be available in 2018, and only then if he stays in the Premier League.

Moyes said: “The English FA have made their interest in Adnan known.

“I think he has a choice of three or four countries he can play for. Belgium have already tried to call him up, Albania and Croatia too. I think he would be able to play for England because of ­residency in five years.”