Five positives for Manchester United fans after Olympiakos defeat
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) February 25, 2014
1. That summer transfer warchest must be getting bigger all the time.
Even the cash conscious Glazers must have watched that performance and realised there is plenty of spending to be done in the summer. Chris Smalling, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, Tom Cleverley, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia all looked like they need to be cleared out.
2. Rio Ferdinand’s contract situation has been cleared up.
Err, no. If there was any doubt about 35-year-old Ferdinand’s future, that should have settled it. Terrible on the ball, mistimed tackles and a first touch as deft as an electric fence.
3. Ferdinand’s personalised pass completition rate fashion collection is bound to go down a storm.
4. Jonny Evans and Phil Jones became club legends in absentia
Evans and Jones have not been without their doubters, but they improved no end by missing this one. They didn’t sound like massive losses before the game, but it certainly turned out that way on the pitch. Perhaps it’s good for United fans to know how important they are to the team.
5. There’s not much danger of David Moyes setting up defensively for the return leg.
Moyes loves to play it a bit cagey in big games, but he’s pretty much had that option snatched away from his after the 2-0 defeat in the away leg. It will have to be attack at Old Trafford.