Spain boss Vicente del Bosque ’embarrassed’ over Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas injury fall-out

Posted by - November 20, 2014 - All News, Chelsea, Spain

Spain boss Vicente del Bosque says he is “embarrassed” by the continuing fall-out over the injury to Cesc Fabregas.

The coach of the national side had summoned the Chelsea player to Spain for a scan after the midfielder had ruled himself out of his country’s two recent matches.

Despite the scans coming back clear Fabregas still claimed he was not fit to play – a view which Del Bosque says he has to believe, even though he admitted to having doubts previously.

“So much has been said this week that it embarrasses me to discuss the matter. I believe in sporting values, trust and I don’t understand this lack of compromise,” Del Bosque told AS.

“We all know Fabregas. He has a sporting competitive edge. When he came to take his medical, he said: I’ve attended 125 international get-together’s and only played 94 games.

“This is down to me and Luis selecting him 94 times in the past. These players show up and they want to play, if they can’t make it I have to believe what they say.”

When questioned why they decided to rest him even though the scan revealed he did not have a hamstring injury, he said: “We decided not to let him stay as he said to me: I have a knock and when I move this leg it’s sore.

“It’s bad news when we enter a dynamic of a lack of trust. Some of those casting opinions should be on the bench.”