1. One down, four to go for Manuel Pellegrini in his challenge to win five trophies in five years for Manchester City.
2. That was probably the best possible result for Sunderland in the long-term. They played well, weren’t humiliated but didn’t end up with the trophy that often results in teams clocking off in the league. Back to the relegation battle for Gus Poyet and his side.
3. The last time Sunderland witnessed a comeback as quick as City’s it was the return of tomato ketchup after Paolo Di Canio’s sacking. read more »
1. Arsenal can’t do it on a dry Saturday in Stoke.
2. Contrary to the beliefs of many religious sects, Roberto Soldado scoring from open play for Tottenham is in no way associated with the apocalypse.
3. Alan Pardew joins Mike Tyson in a select club of people who can claim to have headbutted a tiger. read more »
1. Liverpool winning 4-3? Dig that retro 1990s vibe. Brendan Rodgers is probably taking them all shopping for white suits today.
2. Crystal Palace fans obviously feel that Wayne Rooney is underpaid at £300,000-a-week. They had a whip-round, which they duly whipped towards him at high velocity.
3. Talk about upstaging Dennis Bergkamp, Sunderland unveiled four new statues in their defence at Arsenal on Saturday. read more »
1. When Ar5en1 get whipped, they do have an unfortunate habit of losing by a scoreline that lends itself to a reworking of their name.
2. Liverpool’s SSAS stikeforce (Skrtel, Sterling and Sturridge) are deadly.
3. The only thing more off-putting for a Manchester United manager than having Sir Alex Ferguson looking over your shoulder is having Sir Alex Ferguson accompanied by Mick Hucknall looking over your shoulder. read more »
1. The title race is wide open. There goes City’s home record. Perhaps it’s going to be closer than many were predicting.
2. Jose Mourinho knows how to win big games. That was the sort of counter-attacking Mourinho display that even managed to halt Barcelona at their peak.
3. It’s not very often that Yaya Toure is dwarfed in midfield, but Nemanja Matic was a colossus tonight. And next time we need some paint knocking off our logo, we know who to call.
read more »