Top 10 things we’d like to see in the Confederations Cup
1. Innocent Mdeldle to get sent off.
2. A Brazil-Spain final. Pioneers of samba football vs the current standard-bearers of samba football.
3. A USA-Iraq match, and not necessarily for footballing reasons!
4. Italy to open up for once and not employ negative tactics. If their 4-3 win over New Zealand is anything to go by, looks like they might finally bring some cheer to the neutrals.
5. An upset or two. Or three. Egypt look the most likely team to step up to the plate in this regard.
6. A certain £56m signing to flop and his Iraqi equivalent to flourish.
7. South Africa to host a successful tournament. They’ve been getting a lot of stick in the past year but the stadia and pitches now look fantastic. It would be good if this runs smoothly and everyone can breathe a lot easier ahead of next year.
8. Xavi to reproduce his magic at international level without Andres Iniesta.
9. Mohamad Aboutrika to score, preferably with Amr Zaki close at hand.
10. A high-scoring game between New Zealand and Egypy where the scoresheet could feasibly read:
“FATHI, SAID, OLD, HOMOS, SMELTZ”