Top five conclusions: Uruguay 2-3 Germany
1. It is always a pleasant surprise when a match that is essentially a dead rubber turns out to be a really good match.
2. You have to wonder whether the make-up of the World Cup final and the Golden Boot charts might be different if Thomas Mueller had been available for Germany’s semi-final against Spain.
3. International goals are like buses: you wait ages for one, and then two come along at once. Just ask Arne Friedrich.
4. Diego Forlan must be the only person in the world who appreciates that the Jabulani is just a misunderstood soul. He made it do great things yet again.
5. Dennis Aogo was very lucky not to be sent-off within minutes of his World Cup debut, and Diego Perez is lucky not to have a broken leg.
Videos via 101GG