Top five Carling Cup final conclusions
1. All the pre-match talk was of the Gerrard cousins pretending to be Hristo Stoichkov in their nan’s garden during the 1994 World Cup. It would seem they caught a bit of Diana Ross’ performance at the opening ceremony too.
2. Dirk Kuyt’s determination to win a medal should not have been underestimated. The formerly longest-serving medal-less Red got his first honour and, with his goal, goal-line clearance and penalty success, definitely earnt it.
3. Fair play to Ben Turner. If you’re going to get a booking for taking your shirt off, get your money’s worth.
4. Aron Gunnarsson might have invented a new sport. His game of numb leg football looked as challenging as it was entertaining. Granted the Icelandic man’s problems were brought about by cramp, but it should be easy to replicate. Let’s see how skillful Lionel Messi is after a couple of shots of local anesthetic.
5. We’re not sure Craig Bellamy knew what to do with a stadium full of love. He’s not used to that.