Top five conclusions: Manchester United 2-3 Athletic Bilbao
1. Sure, you can stick to the letter of the law and say that Patrice Evra committed a foul by playing in his socks, but how would Athletic Bilbao fans feel if the boot was on the other foot?
2. Howard Webb’s 25th anniversary present to Sir Alex Ferguson finally turned up then. He didn’t put enough stamps on it.
3. A humiliating European defeat for United in which David De Gea was the hero. Who’d have thunk it?
4. Roy Keane’s now wishing he invited Athletic Bilbao to Old Trafford shortly after his prawn sandwich comments so he could stand in the centre circle with a microphone and proclaim: “Exhibit A, your honour.” The Basque support was immense.
5. Today Rafael will mainly be ambling across motorways, blissfully unaware of the danger posed by oncoming articulated lorries.
Video via 101GG