Top 10 conclusions Premier League weekend 18-19 August
1. Members of the Manchester City Title Win Reenactment Society delivered a performance with the sort of coordination that made the London 2012 opening ceremony look amateurish. Samir Nasri just peaked a bit too soon.
2. With all the comparisons bring drawn between the Olympics and the Premier League, it’s hard to know why everyone has been so quick to pour cold water on Newcastle manager Alan Pardew’s early attempts to secure a Rio 2016 judo spot.
3. Just like his predecessor Roy Hodgson, West Brom boss Steve Clarke seems to be happier conspiring against Liverpool’s players than working with them.
4. Take a bow, Swansea and Fulham – it doesn’t get much better than winning 5-0 on the opening day of the season.
5. If there’s one thing Arsene Wenger could have done with this weekend after selling Robin Van Persie it was a goal. Cue goalless draw against Sunderland.
6. AVB = Arry’s Vastly Better
7. The award for most rapidly deflated pre-season expectations is shared by Liverpool and QPR.
8. Swansea’s new signing Michu is looking like one of the biggest steals of the summer so far.
9. Michael Laudrup is a Premier League manager! And he’s pretty good at it so far.
10. Welcome back, Premier League: a league in which, we now know, Rickie Lambert can find the net. just like Grant Holt last season. That’s why we love it.