Top 10 conclusions: Premier League weekend, 9-10 February
1. Last season, a beautifully placed finish from Sergio Aguero won the title for Manchester City. It looks like a similarly well-placed finish from Gareth Barry has lost them the title this season.
2. Ryan Giggs is a machine. The man is 40 this year and he’s still capable of winning Premier League matches.
3. Frank Lampard’s one-man crusade to humiliate the Chelsea board continued at full speed. It now looks very much like the Blues will end up in the position of releasing their all-time leading goalscorer.
4. Joe Hart’s impressive howler record for the season continues. His dip in form is noteworthy even among a City squad that has collectively lost last season’s magic.
5. Carl Jenkinson received two cards from referee Anthony Taylor the day after his 21st birthday. Unfortunately, they were both yellow.
6. It bodes well for Tottenham that they have a decent side… but still end up looking like a one-man team. Gareth Bale was once again the difference against Newcastle on Saturday.
7. ‘Arry’s new rock solid QPR defence came unstuck against an Swansea and their all Spanish scoresheet. The twitch was pronounced.
8. Our mid-week conclusion about the fear of watching Jack Wilshere waiting for him to get injured proved to be very prophetic.
9. Young, inexperienced, naive Aston Villa keep getting bullied by lower league teams and plenty of team in their own league but manage to pick up three points against a Sam Allardyce side. Only in football.
10. Eight points was a miracle last season. It looks like even Roberto Mancini has accepted that 12 points is a bridge too far this year.