Top 10 conclusions Champions League last 16 matches 11 March
1. Four English teams safely through to the quarter finals of the Champions League and another all-Anglo final a distinct prospect. It would make you proud to be English if only they could field a team of 11 Englishmen between them!
2. Chelsea will face Liverpool. It is written in the stars or something. They just can’t resist each other.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo won the battle of the Superfly boots. Another big match and Zlatan Ibrahimovic again goes missing.
4. Arsenal were generally poor and pretty fortunate to go through.
5. Mirko Vucinic’s effort was the worst penalty of all time. Well, maybe not but it was pretty awful.
6. Patrick Vieira used to be able to mark people. Remember those days? He gave Nemanja Vidic a free header for the opening goal last night. Not recommended.
7. Eduardo can score a volley with the outside of his boot at the weekend, but can’t find the net from 12 yards in the shootout against Roma. It’s like Bentley and the skip.
8. I bet Fergie’s wine tasted a bit sweeter than Jose Mourinho’s as the two enjoyed their customary post-match tipple last night.
9. Barcelona came through comfortably against Lyon in the end despite their mini-scare in the first leg. The Catalans are the only serious threat to the Premier League teams.
10. Arsenal’s match came down to penalties, United’s came down to headers. I will have to dig out some statistics – they seem to score a lot of headers these day (few as important as last night’s from Vidic and Ronaldo though).