Top five conclusions: England 0-0 Algeria
1. It might not have been the worst result, but for lack of imagination, lack of creativity, lack of energy and lack of decent chances that was the worst England performance in a very long time.
2. That was not the birthday present that Fabio Capello would have wanted or expected. Sadly there’s no gift receipt and he’s stuck with a poor point.
3. Emile Heskey must have been giving Wayne Rooney some tips on his first touch during training.
4. England must have concluded in the wake of Robert Green’s error that aimless shooting from outside the area is the way to succeed at this World Cup. Hopefully they have learnt otherwise now.
5. We will attempt to finish on a positive: slow-burning World Cup campaigns tend to be successful ones. Let’s hope England get their act together before this campaign is prematurely extinguished.
Video via 101GG