Top five conclusions: England 1-1 USA
1. From an editorial point of view, I have to include a clip of that goal but I won’t be clicking it and would be quite happy to never see it again after all those replays last night.
2. After five minutes you had to wonder if this was really England in a major tournament. All that nervous tension gone and Emile Heskey looking like Pele.
3. After 40 minutes you could be absolutely sure that this was England in a major tournament.
4. In hindsight, this wasn’t as bad as it seemed in the immediate aftermath. Heskey should have scored, as should Shaun Wright Phillips, and we wouldn’t be complaining if they had both found the net.
5. All of Fabio Capello’s surprises backfired last night: King got injured, Milner wasn’t fit enough, Green dropped a clanger and Wright Phillips was Walcott-esque in his ineffectiveness.