Top five conclusions: Slovakia 3-2 Italy
1. Playing in a World Cup final mustn’t be that great: neither of the previous finalists seemed very bothered about it.
2. That was one of the most exciting matches of the tournament so far. End-to-end in the second half and it really could have gone either way.
3. There was something cruelly satisfying about watching Italy’s World Cup hopes ebb away while the opposition wasted time with diving and fictional injuries.
4. You have to feel sorry for Napoli’s Marek Hamsik. You know how Italian clubs react when their players conspire in the national team’s downfall.
5. Kamil Kopunek must be the most effective timewasting, defensive substitution in World Cup history. Sent on to bolster the midfield, he scored what ended up being the winner with a deft lob.
Video via 101GG