Top 10 conclusions Premier League weekend 14-15
1. Chelsea are so selfish. They just couldn’t let Blackpool have the glory could they?
2. Having said that, we reckon the result at the DW Stadium told us much more about the state of Wigan than Blackpool.
3. It looks like Aston Villa have got over Martin O’Neill pretty quickly. A few more results like that and Kevin MacDonald will have the job permanently.
4. Anfield was the only place to get sent-off on your league debut this weekend. Joe Cole and Laurent Koscielny minimised their solitude by getting dismissed in injury time at the end of each half respectively.
5. Pepe Reina probably just about pipped Tim Howard in the Great Merseyside Goalkeeping Howler competition.
6. There are not too many players who were their club’s star performer last season and have realised one game into the new season that they will have to leave the club, but Shay Given is one such player.
7. James Milner puts paid to the tabloid’s favourite persona of the unsettled player. Turns out players who want to leave can perform just fine – they even score goals.
8. West Brom fans got a very swift reminder of the hardships of the Premier League and the fact that you will get spanked if you don’t get the basics of defending right.
9. Referees deliberately target Lee Cattermole. Yes, that’s right, Steve Bruce. They target him because he is usually targeting an opposition player with a flying elbow or dangerous tackle.
10. Joe Hart and Chris Kirkland found themselves to be goalkeeping polar opposites this weekend.