Who on earth is Bébé? 10 things you need to know about United’s new signing
Sir Alex Ferguson has made one of the biggest shocks this summer by splashing out around £7.5million on Portuguese striker Bébé. The 20-year-old joins United subject to passing a medical and will take United’s summer spending to around £25million.
Never heard of him? Well this may help.
1. His full name is Tiago Manuel Dias Correia, otherwise known as Bébé.
2. United signed him from Portuguese club Vitória de Guimarães.
3. He was raised in an orphanage and spent most of his childhood on the streets.
4. Bébé has actually played at international level. He once featured for Portugal in the Homeless World Cup.
5. Sir Alex met Bébé on Tuesday and immediately signed him up after talks. Well it’s not that hard to sell the club to a player is it?
6. The 20-year-old only joined Guimarães five weeks ago from Portuguese third division club, Estrala da Amadora.
7. United’s former assistant, Carlos Queiroz, recommended him to Sir Alex.
8. He is 6ft 2in tall, strong in the air and a technically-gifted striker with a powerful right foot.
9. Real Madrid were after the Portuguese striker and he was tipped to move to the Bernabeu before United literally jetted-in to complete the deal.
10. Bébé hasn’t even appeared on a Football Manager game, yet. But you can guarantee he’ll be on this year’s edition with pretty decent stats. Watch this space.