Top 10 conclusions Premier League weekend 25-26 September
1. You just never know what you are going to get from the Premier League, do you? There must have been plenty of spoiled accumulators this weekend.
2. Chelsea defeats are like buses, it seems (although the one against Manchester City will no doubt have hurt a lot more than the Carling Cup exit to Newcastle).
3. Most vindicated man of the weekend award goes to Jerome Thomas. Scoring the winner against the club and manager he played for as a youngster must have been satisfying.
4. Arsenal’s failure to sign a decent keeper yet again comes back to bite them on the backside.
5. Then again, Arsene Wenger has thrown money at the defence and they looked equally dodgy.
6. Talking of dodgy, the word follows referee Stuart Atwell around wherever he goes. The man is a magnet for bizarre footballing incidents and it goes beyond coincidence. Liverpool’s first goal against Sunderland was a joke.
7. Charlie Adam just about pips James Perch in the comedy own goal stakes.
8. Gerard Houllier seems to have a decent impact at Aston Villa, at least in the short-term.
9. But the most immediate impact of the weekend was Michael Owen’s as he salvaged a point for Manchester United with his first touch. The guy still knows where the goal is.
10. OTP hopes Carlos Tevez had got his mum a card and wasn’t just banking on scoring against Chelsea to wish her a happy birthday.