Top 10 conclusions Premier League weekend 18-19 September
1. If a Nani falls down in a forest, and no one is around to see or hear him, do even his own fans feel like punching him?
2. Why would a top four side allow a player to leave on a free to a rival if they genuinely thought he was good enough to affect a title race. Joe Cole was anonymous yesterday. Did Chelsea just make him look class?
3. Blackpool beat Wigan away, Wigan beat Spurs away, Newcastle beat Everton away but lose to Blackpool at home. Chelsea aside, there is a refreshing unpredictability about the Premier League.
4. Missed penalties are suddenly more fashionable that a prostitute addiction. Rosicky was the latest to cost his side two points, adding to Nani, Carlton Cole, Carew and Pedersen this season.
5. There have been more impressive Premier League debuts, but has there ever been a better debut goal? He may have been l’enfant terrible at Marseille, but Hatem Ben Arfa is looking good to join David Ginola and Laurent Robert as geordie French favourites.
6. Not strictly about the action this weekend, but nice to see Fat Sam go all Football Manager on us by talking of managing Real Madrid or Chelsea. What’s first Sam: Kim Kallstrom, Maxim Tsigialko or Cherno Samba?
7. Dunce of the weekend? Marouane Fellaini. Despite being given an unbelievable reprieve from Andre Marriner when only given a yellow card for lamping James Perch, the Belgian then proceeded to spaff Everton’s best chance wide from five yards. The Screech side of Fellaini was back for a day
8. David Moyes will come under criticism this week, and rightly so. His decision to play one up front at all costs meant Everton looked unimaginative and lacklustre. But for last weekend’s miracle, Everton would have one point this season. Improvements are needed quickly.
9. Cesc Fabregas must be fuming. A fifth hamstring injury in just over a year, and thanks to Alan Hutton and the Wolves defence, didn’t even get ‘comedy goal of the weekend’ award.
10. If you work as a Match of the Day reporter, you should know the difference between Mark Noble and Scott Parker. Shocking, and just as ITV’s ineptitude was giving Auntie Beeb all the kudos.