Top 10 reasons why Liverpool SHOULDN’T sack Roy Hodgson
1. His post-match interviews are outstanding value. First there was the denial, then there was the ridiculous excuses of a man watching a different game to everyone else. His current stage could best be described as bewilderment.
2. If Kenny Dalglish was to take over as manager and flop, the universe might implode. Or else there would be a lot of Scousers forced to eat humble pie.
3. Paul Konchesky would be left without a single friend on Merseyside.
4. Liverpool need to play the long-game. Blackburn stuck with Roy Hodgson for 18 months – just follow in their footsteps and they will end up three place further up the league in 12 years time. Plus there’s Graeme Souness’ return to look forward to.
5. He lasted longer at Inter Milan than Rafael Benitez. He must be a step in the right direction.
6. There is an outside chance he will resign. Talking about being offered the chance to jump from Blackburn before he was pushed, he said: “I refused to do that, arrogant of course as I was in those days.” That suggests he is not arrogant anymore. Perhaps he would happily quit if someone asked nicely.
7. His win ratio is currently higher than it was in his much-lauded Fulham days at 41.38 per cent. That’s less than two per cent below his career average. In other words, he is performing at around the level that could have been expected before he was appointed.
8. It makes sense to keep him until the Merseyside derby on January 16. Any embarrassment from a home defeat to Everton can then be firmly blamed on Hodgson.
9. He has always maintained that the squad is not yet his own and mainly still Rafa Benitez’s. It would be a be a bit spiteful to stick with him until the transfer window opens then give him the boot.
10. There has been no celebrity protest video calling for him to go yet. It would be a bit of an anti-climax if he left without a Dear Uncle Woy video.