Video: Ridiculous horror tackle from Melbourne Victory’s Kevin Muscat
Kevin Muscat is probably the only footballer who could make a tackle like the one in the video above without leaving a stain on his character. And the reason for that is that his character is so stained by his litany of previous horror tackles that he can scarcely damage his reputation further.
For anyone unfamiliar with Muscat’s work, his rap sheet is well worth a recap:
- This was his second consecutive red card after hitting Adelaide United’s Adam Hughes in the face on his last outing.
- Ex-Charlton midfielder Matty Holmes received a settlement of £250,000 plus costs from Muscat following four operations on his leg after a tackle in 1998.
- Craig Bellamy and Christophe Dugarry are among other victims to pick up serious injuries courtesy of Muscat.
- Birmingham defender Martin Grainger claimed Muscat was “the most hated man in football” in 2000.
- In 2005, Muscat knocked Adelaide United coach John Kosmina out of his chair while retrieving the ball from the touchline.
- Aston Villa’s Ashley Young revealed that he had been threatened by Muscat while warming up for his Watford debut. The 18-year-old alleges Muscat told him: “Don’t go past me or I will break your legs.” As it turned out, Muscat was red-carded before Young came on as a sub!
But he might have just topped all his previous offences with a horrendous foul on Melbourne Heart’s Adrian Zahra. The ex-Millwall, Crystal Palace and Wolves man very nearly chopped Zahra in half.
The 37-year-old is expected to be handed a six-match ban which – given his impending retirement – could signal the end of his A-League career.