Top five conclusions: Tottenham 0-1 Real Madrid
1. It was a night for breaking down stereotypes as the Spanish side’s tough, aggressive defenders tried to avoid conceding penalties as the English team’s pacy attack dived in and around the penalty area.
2. Heurelho Gomes will always do that. Always.
3. Congratulations to Gareth Bale. Yes, he put in a shift but – even more impressively – he refrained from decking the idiot who insisted on slapping him on the back as he wound himself up for two successive long throw-ins.
4. But his Messiah complex is getting a bit out of control. It’s a good job Jarvis Cocker wasn’t at White Hart Lane last night (see photo above).
5. Tottenham and Inter Milan should have agreed to an admirable withdrawal at the end of the group stages instead of both getting a pasting in the quarter-final.
Photo via Guardian