Top five conclusions: Napoli 2-1 Manchester City (plus video highlights)
1. You can buy and rotate an array of the world’s most expensive attackers, but it’s more effective to have three who link-up as well as Cavani, Hamsik and Lavezzi do.
2. Sky Sports might have stumbled upon a great late night football format during the match in which Ray Wilkins translates Mario Balotelli’s Italian curses into English. We’ll call it Butch-ering The Language.
3. Relying on the current Villarreal team taking a point from anyone is about as likely as Roberto Mancini taking Carlos Tevez’s point about not wanting to come on as a sub.
4. City’s reserve goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon was overshadowed by Costly Pantyman Samir Nasri.
5. Going out at this stage would be no shame for City. It took United and Fergie a good while to get the hang of the Champions League.