Top five conclusions: Chelsea 2-1 Benfica
1. Ex-Benfica man Ramires was obviously experiencing split loyalties on the night. He couldn’t decide whether to score a goal for Chelsea or clear the ball for Benfica.
2. Javi Garcia was a busy boy. The makeshift centre-back was clearly happier attacking the ball in the Chelsea box than tracking Ashley Cole’s runs into his own area.
3. Raul Meireles must find it very satisfying to be able to incorporate his gesturing towards Benfica fans into celebrating the winning goal.
4. That’s why you don’t chat back to the ref, kids. If Maxi Pereira hadn’t picked up his first booking for dissent and Benfica had kept 11 men on the pitch, they would have fancied their chances of seeing off Chelsea last night.
5. It’s a good job that Barcelona are up next. Otherwise Chelsea might end up with an ultimately ill-fated 18-month spell with Roberto Di Matteo at the helm.