Top five conclusions: Liverpool 4-1 Chelsea
1. It was a night for redemption for Liverpool’s under-performers, but fate said: “Stewart Downing? You’re taking this too far now.”
2. John Terry wanted to bring the Spice Boys era back to Anfield. He turned up as Nutmeg Spice last night. At least he resisted any temptation to do a Sol Campbell-style half-time walkout.
3. Andy Carroll might just be playing his way into England’s Euro 2012 squad.
4. Jonjo Shelvey was able to take advantage of the fact that Ross Turnbull is unaccustomed to spending sustained periods between the Chelsea sticks.
5. There was some brutality on display last night. Michael Essien, Branislav Ivanovic and Luis Suarez can all count themselves very lucky not to have picked up red cards.